Saturday, September 19, 2015

Eccentric Long Bike Rides, the Skycraper Dash and Training runs

So, I have been following and maintaining my fitness regimen regularly, swimming coaching+ land workouts 4-5 days a week, athletics classes thrice a week and sometimes gym/ yoga. It seems the best part in the IISc campus, along with inspiring and motivating friends. For the past one month, I have also done 2 long bike rides, one to Makalidurga and Thondebavi, and the other to Nandi Hills uphill. Another medium ride to Decathlon Anubhava and back.

Defy Gravity @ Skyscraper Dash
After the Skyscraper Dash
A unique event happening in most of the metros in India where one has to climb the tallest building in the city. The Bangalore one happened on 9th August, 2015 at the World Trade Center housed in The Brigade Gateway campus, just half a km from IISc campus. The Dash only event included a sprint of 200 m followed by a climb of 31 storey (850 stairs). Prior to the event, the organizers arranged practice sessions at the same place, in which I climbed stairs only in 5:40 and 5:09 seconds respectively in the two weeks. On the final event day, my legs we little fatigued due to long run 3 days back, and I managed to finish the sprint+ climb in 6:26 minutes, securing a 10th position out of 295. Also, 3 of my friends from IISc got prizes as they were in top 3. It was followed by some fun events and prize distribution. It was good to see some many fitness enthusiasts from all over Bangalore on a early sunday morning.



Makalidurga and Thondebhavi
This trip was initiated by IISc Biker's network as a month end ride on 30th August, 2015. We 11 of them few students and more profs, gathered at IISc Gymkhana at 6 a.m. and introduced ourselves to all. Abhijit gave us specific instructions about the route gave us the option of either going till Makalidurga or Thondebhavi, then meet up and return back after breakfast.


Route to Thondebhavi and the elevation profile

We kickstarted our ride at around 6:30 a.m. I followed the following cuesheet and used the gpx file for tracking my current location using My Tracks app in my Moto G3. I started at a easy pace along with all others, and increased my pace on the straight Doddaballapur road enjoying the roadside scenic views, the early morning fresh breeze. Soon, everyone were left behind and I was on my own, thought I will wait for them once I reach the destination. As all others were in a group, I did not need to worry much.  Some stretches of the road were under repair, and increasing traffic while nearing Makalidurga cautioned me, but did not prevent me from taking random pics while biking :P.

Cuesheet from IISc to Thondebhavi

On the way to Makalidurga
 After crossing the Makalidurga station, the ride was swift due to the downward slope. The scenic nature improvised itself hereafter with trains cruising along the hilly area and the greenery. Also vehicles were speeding from the opposite end mostly trucks and few buses along the narrow but good road.

The pathway to nowhere
Bike following the cuesheet
Rocky hills 
My bike after 1st rear wheel puncture

 As I neared Thondebhavi, just 1.5 km before the destination at 09:15 p.m., the rear tyre of my bike got punctured. So had to stop just after finish 60 kms of my ride, the longest stretch I have ridden non-stop in 2:47:00 minutes. I got off to take few pics and dragged my bike to the nearest cycle shop near Thondebhavi station. While the puncture was getting repaired, called up my group members and came to know they have reached Makalidurga station. I refueled myself with Electral powder and water.
kilometers
60.00
hours
2:47:00
km/hr
21.56
calories
1,554
I got on my repaired bike and after few meters of ride realized it again got punctured. So, the guy at the shop again fixed it reassuring it will take me back to Bangalore without any trouble. I headed back, and after 9.29 km realized again the back tyre got punctured.


Green Thondebhavi
I then walked 2 km towards my friends who were waiting near the Makalidurga station. Three of my friends were waiting there and rest have left. I came to know that one guy had minor accident, so two among our group had backed out.

One of them had a puncture tape and glue but no sand paper. We remove the back wheel which is a quick release, and examined the tube and tyre. I found one metal thorn sticking inside the tyre, which was the root cause of multiple punctures at the similar location. I removed the same but the puncture could not be fixed. We realized that the nearest cycle shop was 10 kms away. So, I had to either walk or hitchhike a vehicle. It was already 10:30 a.m. Luckily, we found a truck who was generous enough to drop at the nearest cycle shop towards Bangalore. The truck guys were enthusiastic about my long bike rides on a sunday morning and suggested some other scenic spots near Nandi Hills.
Instructed the next guy who was repairing the puncture to do it properly, then started way back towards Bangalore on the SH-9 route having some Banana and water on the way back 21 km ahead we halted a nice Andhra restaurant for a quick meal. It was already around 2 p.m. and I was very hungry. After a decent Andhra meals, when I found that now the front tyre got punctured, such bad luck for me. I told my friends that I will find the puncture shop and will catch up with them. Luckily, I found one  2.5 kms on way back at Rajanukunte. Fixed it again there, and two of my friends came back after one of them took back an auto to IISc due to fatigue in his legs.

So, we rode back towards IISc, it was already 4:30 p.m. but as luck has found me, the front tyre of my bike got punctured again after 12 kms at Jalahalli, this time the cycle shop was nearby I got it repaired and reached IISc finally at 5:30 p.m.

It was a eventful ride, mixed with wonderful scenic biking highs on the forward route and 5 frustrating punctures on the way back. It was a learning experience, now that I have learnt how to replace tubes and repair a punctured tyre. Now, I was carry a spare tube and puncture kit on long rides.

Few essential things to carry on long rides:

  • A phone, with sufficient charge
  • Cash, change, and perhaps a card or two
  • Water bottles
  • Spare tube, pump and puncture repair kit 
  • Some ziplock/plastic for your phone



Nandi Hills Run and Ride 
Two weeks later, my friend, he himself being a big fitness enthusiast in the swimming coaching persuaded me to join him for Nandi Hills ride on 12th September, even though I had a long training run the following day.

The previous trip to Nandi Hills was 3 weeks back on 22nd August 2015, for 14k run uphill an down as part of the Bengaluru Marathon training run. As usual, a bus was arranged by the IISc Gymkhana and we reached at the base of Nandi Hills at 5:45 a.m. After collecting the free T-Shirt, we started the run at 6:30 a.m, and it was drizzling.  It was the most difficult climb uphill, with the elevation above sea level varying from 979 m at the base to 1402 m at the top, a net 423 m climb uphill.
The last 3 kms uphill was the most difficult with locked legs due to the steep slope. The initial 6.5 km took a good 40 minutes.  After reaching the peak and having a sip of water, proceeded downhill effortlessly taking full advantage of the downslope. But the fatigue accumulated due to the uphill run took toll after few kms, still maintained a decent pace.
Nandi hills running route and stats

Splits: Nandi Hills run

NAME
SPEED 
CLIMB
1 km
10.84
80
2 km
11.07
38
3 km
10.01
58
4 km
10.27
20
5 km
8.62
93
6 km
8.58
60
7 km
8.88
14
8 km
13.78
-62
9 km
15.01
-94
10 km
12.41
-30
11 km
12.83
-34
12 km
13.12
-62
13 km
12.71
-54
14 km
12.45
-49




























So, overall it was a awesome training run with a scenic view throughout and cool and drizzly weather followed by a hearty breakfast by the organizers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Route from IISc to Nandi Hills
Coming back to the biking on 12 September, started very early at 4:30 a.m., its good that previous weekend itself I bought biking accessories like spare tube, front and back blinkers, and puncture patches. It was my first early morning ride and was very enthusiastic about the ride. Started from IISc ATM gate towards Mekhri circle in a sparse traffic consisting of few trucks and cars. 

As we took the the highway route to Hyderabad, passing through Decathlon

Near the base of Nandi hills
 Anubhava  and the Kempegowda International Airport, the roads were good and we maintained quite good pace, but needed to lookout for occasional bumps. As we passed beyond the airport, early morning view was awesome on the Highway. Nearing the Nandi hills, the upslope started and I had to keep shifting gears to maintain the rhythm and pace. Finally, reached the base of the Nandi hills, and my back began to hurt due to the backpack I had. After hydrating myself, started the uphill climb which was ok initially at lower gear , but
At the base of Nandi Hills
 started becoming arduous as I proceeded. My friend being experienced and having done 400 kms ride before was much ahead of me. I took few breaks to stretch myself and climbed slowly using the lowest gear of my bike. Finally reached the peak taking 3:14 hours for 59 kms.
Uphill road to Nandi Hills peak

Found my friend Naveen waiting there for me who reached 15 minutes back. We had few bananas, parked our bikes outside and took tickets to go inside.
Foggy stems and leaves

On the way uphill
We explored the scenic beauty of Nandi Hills, went to Tipu's fort, and took few pics. Had a light breakfast of Idli there, and then started to go back. It was 10:15 a.m. and got back on our bikes, I immediately found out that the back tyre was punctured. So, called my friend and with his help removed the tube to debug the puncture, but could not find any. Good that I had a spare tube, replaced it and started our journey back, the downhill was a breeze being a steep slope, and needed quite a bit control of my bike to avoid skidding. After reaching the base we went the wrong route but soon realized and corrected our pathway back to Bangalore. I and my friend wanted to buy some swimming accessories like hand paddles and swimming fins at Decathlon, so we scheduled a stop at Decathlon Anubhava, where we reached at 12:15 p.m. I gave my punctured tube to get it checked. The Decathlon guy was good to spare some time and patch the puncture.Then we headed back to IISc via the Outer Ring Road and New BEL road as the Mekhri circle route might have been a road block due to heavy traffic.

On the way uphill
Finally reached IISc at 2 p.m. and had a nice lunch at Nesara. Compared to running biking has a different kind of high as we breeze through the highways and empty roads at ease. And it is less stressful on our legs than running but requires more time for the same amount of cardio burnout. Also, biking is a cost effective and nature friendly way to explore scenic places far off from the city with using any polluting vehicles, at the same time improving our fitness.




Tree trunks amongst the foggy weather

Exploring the surroundings


Monkeys having a jolly time

Tank near Tipu's Fort

Tipu Fort
SPBM Training run

The next day itself on 13th September, went for a training run in AOL campus, Kanakpura road organized by Bengaluru Marathon 2015, I was OK after the previous day biking initially and planned to go for 25k. We started from IISc at 5 a.m. to the posh campus of AOL, and started the run at 6:30 a.m. It was a 5.2 k route encompassing quite many uphills and downhills. Started quite fast and but had to slow down after 5k as legs became heavier as the run progressed.
NAME
SPEED
CLIMB
1 km
12.32
-12
2 km
12.87
8
3 km
13.34
-14
4 km
12.74
-5
5 km
12.89
-6
6 km
11.52
5
7 km
11.95
6
8 km
11.24
10
9 km
11.52
3
10 km
11.25
0
11 km
10.24
-4
12 km
11.78
2
13 km
12.47
-12
14 km
11.31
0
15 km
11.83
-11
16 km
10.34
0
17 km
10.45
12
18 km
10.57
0
19 km
9.46
12
20 km
10.95
-1
21 km
10.89
13
22 km
10.70
-8










Finally finished half marathon in 1:50:53 hours.


























KM

21.12

DURATION

1:50:53

AVERAGE SPEED

11.43

CALORIES BURNED

1,355


No comments:

Post a Comment